Assumption University of Thailand (AU) by Rev. Bro. Dr. Prathip Martin Komolmas, President Emeritus is aware and support Suvarnabhumi Campus as University in a park which is the concept from the beginning to develop the campus to have shady, peaceful, and calm atmosphere surrounded by assorted plans species including perennial and ornamental plants. In addition, this is to create learning environment in academic, natural, and environmental areas. As a result, nature can be used in everyday life so everyone is aware and know the value of nature.
Additionally, AU has appointed the Sustainability Environmental Management Committee as a key mechanism in driving forward the environmental management in all areas in the university. All sectors in AU Community including management, faculty members, students, staff and personnel work according to the plan and other measures that the committee, together with school representatives, have set up to move forward to Smart University for the sustainable future.
AU students from all schools have to study basic subject that is related to human, nature, and environment. The teaching and learning in the university focus on acquiring knowledge and taking action outside classroom so, the knowledge and real experience students learned from outside classroom are important especially for students who want to adapt their knowledge in real life. It leads to the activity that Preservers Club, Assumption University Student Organization (AUSO), Student Affairs had an opportunity to learn and practice how to make natural compost and grow plants at Suvarnabhumi Campus. In this activity, the staff from Physical Plant Department, Office of Vice President for Administrative Affairs gave good support and advice to all students.
On April 9, 2022, students learned and practiced how to make natural compost to be used in the garden in Suvarnabhumi Campus to make them clearly understand the composting process. The objectives of this activity are as follows;
- To learn how to make compost that is part of adding nutrient to plants and to help balancing the nature
- To visit into the area and practice to make compost sot heat they truly understand each step of the composting process, and ask the experiences expert so they can apply their knowledge in nature conservation activities in the future
- To experience and be close to nature as well as to learn outside classroom enable the students to connect and understand nature more that allow them to create awareness to truly love nature and be ready to preserve the environment and create awareness to the next generation
The steps of composting
- Put hey grass and dry leaves on land in the area of 1.2 meter width and 40 cm. height
- Cover by soil or uprooted flowering plants
- Cover by manures and urea fertilizer (finish stage 1)
- Repeat step 1-3 again (stage 2)
- Add microbial activators PD1 from the Department Land Development then water the compost pile to increase humidity, then cover by plastic and water the compost pile 3 days at a time
- Reverse compost pile after one month
- After 45-60 days, the compost pile has lower temperature and decomposed, it can be used
April 10, 2022: Students planted 15 Tabebuia aurea at the garden of Assumption University ' s Aquatic Center.